Insuring a Minibus Taxi

Insuring a Minibus Taxi

If you work as a taxi driver and you own a minibus then you need to get the right type of cover.

Below are some of the main types of cover you can get for a minibus taxi as well as some ways to save money on minibus insurance.

Types of cover

  • Private hire – Private hire insurance is suitable if you work for a private hire firm and your vehicle can only be pre-booked. Private hire insurance is generally cheaper as private hire drivers face fewer risks.
  • Public hire – Public hire insurance is for minibus taxis that display a ‘taxi’ sign and can be hailed from the street.
  • Road risks – Road risks is the most basic type of cover you need to get for your minibus. You can choose the level of cover you want to get. Third party is the cheapest cover but it will not provide any protection for your own vehicle.
  • Public liability – Liability claims are something you must also protect against, particularly if you work for a large taxi firm. Having public liability cover included in your policy will certainly be something you’re grateful for if the time comes when you need it. You can also have legal expenses included too.
  • Breakdown assistance – If you don’t already have breakdown assistance then you can have it included in your policy for an additional cost.

How to save money

  • Secure your vehicle – Making your vehicle more secure by parking it in a safe place and installing an alarm, immobiliser etc. will certainly help to lower the cost of your insurance.
  • Shop around – You should also make the effort to get as many quotes as possible since this will prevent you from overspending on a policy you could have gotten cheaper elsewhere. There are many excellent insurance comparison services online where you can get minibus taxi insurance.
  • Limit cover options – A very easy way to cut down the cost of a taxi minibus insurance policy is simply to limit the cover options. Instead of getting a comprehensive policy with lots of extras, you can get a basic third party policy that only provides the cover you need to drive legally.