Lorries are incredibly large vehicles that take a lot of experience to drive well. If you own a lorry, or even a fleet of lorries then you’ll need to get the right type of cover.
One of the biggest challenges of running your own business, especially one that relies on the use of vehicles, is getting insurance at the best rate. When looking for lorry insurance, it’s always a good idea to get cover from a specialist lorry insurance provider.
Types of policies
Below are some of the types of policies you can get for lorry insurance –
- Third party – A third party policy will provide just enough cover so the vehicle(s) can be driven legally. However your lorry won’t be covered if you (or one of your drivers) were to blame for a collision. For full coverage, you need to get a comprehensive policy.
- Comprehensive – Comprehensive insurance will cover you for all types of collisions, regardless of who’s to blame. Comprehensive cover also includes fire and theft.
- Fleet insurance – If you have multiple lorries that need to be insured then the best way to do this is by getting a fleet insurance policy. Fleet insurance enables you to insure as many trucks as you need under the same policy.
- Breakdown assistance – Breakdown assistance is a must, whether you have one vehicle or an entire fleet. You can often get breakdown assistance included in your policy for an additional fee.
The best ways to save money
Below are some of the best ways to save money on lorry insurance –
- Pay upfront – By paying for your policy annually, rather than monthly you can negotiate a lower rate with insurance providers and make a significant saving.
- Be selective with drivers – The drivers you hire will certainly impact how much you pay for lorry insurance. Generally you’ll want to hire drivers who are over the age of 25 and who have no criminal or driving convictions. A good amount of experience driving a lorry is of course also important.
- Get as many quotes as possible – Getting quotes is now easier than ever and is one of the best ways to save money on lorry insurance.